03.04.14 3 Ways Silicone is Keeping you Safe
- When project developers need quick silicone molding parts to be tested to meet their project deadline, there are several key considerations such as company’s focus, reputation, product knowledge, and on-time delivery.
- A small company usually starts the project by signing the non-disclosure agreement (NDA) the first day. Quoting of the silicone molding parts can be done in a maximum of two days. In comparison to a large company, it can take up to a whole week because of different teams of management and engineering have to all approve. In some cases, quoting can be done the same day if the project is time sensitive. Due to the flexible adjustments of a small company, customers can input their special requirements such as material close tolerances or new changes to the silicone molding design during quoting process.
- While waiting for the quoting to be processed and accepted, a team of engineers would quickly discuss with the customer to see whether the project is feasible and timely-fashioned. Design engineers also assist on suggesting a particular silicone grade for application suitability. In addition, making any recommendations over the manufacturing process to ease the silicone molding design will be implemented.
- Once the revision for manufacturability is made and the order is placed, the mold design will be completed via computer-aided design software and a suitable liquid silicone grade will be selected for that particular application. Large companies normally take weeks for the silicone molding design and material selection as compared to a small company that can take less than a week.
- In the same week of completing the mold design, material including special tooling is immediately ordered once a small management team approves. The following week, a high speed 3D machining of the aircraft-graded aluminum mold is then carried out from a large stock of custom base mold. When the mold is made and fully polished and cleaned, silicone molding parts are quickly produced.
- The same day that the silicone parts are molded, a quality control team would step in to assure the proper part dimensions and meet customer’s requirements. The final silicone molding parts will be then packaged and shipped to the customer as fast as next day.